Sunday, August 30, 2009

First Week of School!

Like most of Texas we started school this past Monday. Two out of the three boys were excited (bet you can't tell from the picture who was not excited) Ha. ha. We had meet the teacher the Friday before school started for the two little ones. Joel is in Miss Guy's class and he had 3 kids from his kindergarten class in his room. Caleb has Mrs. Labry and he doesn't have anyone from his class last year.

I was SHOCKED when Caleb came home after the first day very excited. He said, "Mom, mom guess what? We won't have any homework for the first two weeks!" If no homework could be a love language that would be Caleb's. I don't know how he will respond once the homework starts but so far this week he had a good week. The mornings are a little rough for him (he is simply not a morning person)something is always too tight - first morning it was his shoes were to tight; second morning it was his shorts were too tight; third morning his socks were too tight - you get the picture. But when I pick him up in the afternoon he is excited to share with me what he has learned especially if it is about Science. There has been much prayer going into this year since this will start TAKS testing so I am hoping this great start is a sign for the rest of the year!!

Joel loves school and this year is no different. He loves his teacher and the fact that they do more "work" than in kindergarten. I have been amazed at the things he has come home telling me each day. Books they have read, projects they are doing, new concepts he is learning it has been great. Joel has also started baseball again (I thought I was being smart in only letting him play and not both he and Caleb but I had not factored in Christian's football so we are BUSY). He practices on Monday nights and games will start every Saturday in two weeks. He loves baseball though and that makes it easier.

Christian started 7th grade and the big change this year is he is playing football. Football practice started the 2nd day of school and he has to be there by 6:30 am. (Yes, 6:30 am!). It has been a HUGE adjustment for him and me! I am getting up very early in order to exercise before I take him to school and then come home and get the other two up and ready for school. So far he really doesn't like football. His first practice in full pads was this past Saturday. That means they started "hitting". He has decided that he does not like getting HIT!! Ha. ha. As most of you know since Christian quit playing baseball he hasn't done any physical activity so all of the running and playing made for a very sore boy all week!! He right now is playing wide receiver and defensive end. (He prefers defensive end -again I think because he doesn't want to be hit!). Anyway, we told him that if he committed he needed to finish out the season so we will see. Craig encouraged him that playing in a game is totally different than practice and he may love it. (I am not holding my breath but we will see). Games start next Tuesday, September 8th - it will be INTERESTING. So, we continue this week with 6:30 am practices!

Last weekend before school started Grandpa Billky & Jo came and delivered my birthday present. He had asked me a couple of months ago if I would like him to build me something for my birthday and I said YESSSSSSSSSS! I asked for a desk for my office. He sent me pictures along the way and I loved it. Then when they got here he surprised me with not only a desk but bookcases that match as well!! YEAH, YEAH, YEAH. I LOVE them! One of the things I most wanted when we built was a study/office. A place where I could have all of my books with easy access so this was a dream come true.

We traveled to Tyler yesterday to celebrate Alicia's birthday. Her and Joel are 4 days apart (although she was due after Joel-no fair)! Christian and Craig stayed home since Christian had football but Caleb and Joel had a great time (as I am sure you can tell in the pictures). They have missed not having a diving board to jump off of and LOVED the slide.

So, we start another week. I am going to try and nail down a plan for both Caleb & Joel's birthday parties this week so I will send that out along with the baseball and football schedule soon! Enjoy the rest of the pics!

Blog Archive