Sunday, January 24, 2010

Christmas!

I guess since it was a month ago I should post something about Christmas!! Especially since it was soooo much better than last year. (If you missed last year's Christmas post check it out in the archive).

Since we moved into our house 2weeks before Christmas last year, this year I started decorating EARLY!! I always like to use the excuse that since we are gone at Thanksgiving and then the next weekend is Christian's birthday that we HAVE to put up our tree early. I put it up the weekend before Thanksgiving. Craig agreed to put out lights (not on the house but he did do the yard), for the first time I had a dinning room table to decorate, as well as my mantle and a new wreath for my door. I was so EXCITED... UNTIL, the tree was crooked, Craig accidentally broke the top of the tree and the tree topper and I couldn't find my manger scene. Luckily my mom came and rescued the day by wiring the top of the tree, creating a tree topper, helping to locate the missing manger scene and adding touches to the mantle. We were on our way!

Our first Christmas was with Randy & Sherri, Shannon & her boys (Shawn was out of town) and Angie & Jake at Angie's house in mid-December. We had a great evening and everyone was excited to spend their money and gift cards. Joel was very confused though that he had to go back to school and that Christmas was still about 2 weeks away!

Christmas Eve it began to snow. It snowed all day. That evening we went to our church's Christmas Eve service - what a wonderful time of worship and word as we prepared for Christmas Day. It had snowed heavily while we were at church and the roads were very slick on the way home.

Craig and I got up about 6:00 am in order to be ready and see the kids as they came downstairs. Before we were even completely ready we heard someone up. Surprisingly, it was Christian who was the first kid up that morning. He said he couldn't sleep!

It was probably an hour later before Caleb & Joel got up. It took my mom and dad awhile to get to my house (less than 2 miles) because of how slick the roads where. They arrived and the presents where opened. We had a traditional big breakfast that morning and later a very non-traditional but favorite lunch! The time with family, the snow on the ground, made it a very memorable Christmas Day!

The day after Christmas all of my family came. My brother and Leanna with their kids, my parents, my granny, and my aunt and her daughter. I was able to use my dinning room table for the first time (I bought it last April) and it was great to all be able to sit down to a great meal. Everyone stayed the night and we ate leftovers and visited that next day as well. Last year we got some great family pictures...this year we barely got one! The kids weren't real into it. In fact Joel is missing from this picture because he was upstairs sleeping!!

Lastly, Billy & Jo came New Year's weekend and we had Christmas with them. The boys loved their cash and immediately decided to put their money together and purchase a motorized scooter.

Christmas 2009 was GREAT! (Way better than 2008-ha. ha)!! But the best part came a week ago. Joel's teacher sent home a paper they had written the first day back from Christmas vacation. They were asked what was the best thing about Christmas...Joel wrote that he loved the presents but the best part was worshipping God! I was SHOCKED especially since he slept threw most of the Christmas Eve service (ha. ha)!! But, something must have made an impression on him - God is good!!

(More pics - Nicole (Kyle's daughter) kissing my dad through the stairs. My dinning room table ready for family meal. Kid's table. Present opening. Austin and his "guns" courtesey of Uncle Craig & Aunt Adana.)

Blog Archive